Where Policies of the Association directly affect tenants, we are bound to consult before these are initially implemented and when they are reviewed. The Association has recently reviewed its Rent Arrears Policy, which outlines how we will respond to tenants who find themselves in arrears of rent. Prior to final implementation of the policy we would welcome your comments on the proposed changes.
Key changes to our previous policy are as follows:-
• we make specific reference to the changes that have been required to address the introduction of Universal Credit;
• we make more specific references to the role played by Association’s Tenancy Support Services (i.e. Welfare Rights Service, Money and Debt Advice, Energy Advice and Tenancy Sustainment) in supporting tenants in rent arrears;
• we explain further the use of Discretionary Housing Payments, particularly in relation to mitigation of the ‘Bedroom Tax’;
• we make clearer reference to the way in which performance on arrears management and control is reported to Committee;
• we make more specific reference to how rent arrears resulting from recovery of Housing Benefit Overpayments from tenants by Glasgow City Council are managed by the Association;
• we demonstrate a more clearly defined approach to agreeing and managing rent arrears repayment arrangements with tenants, in effect, that on a third broken arrangement the case will be taken to the Housing Manager for consideration that court action be considered for recover of the tenancy; and
• we make specific reference to Mobysoft (Rent Sense) arrears management software.
Here is the draft new Rent Arrears Policy and Appendix in full. You can send us your comments using the ‘Contact Us’ form at the top of the page, by e-mailing your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning the office on 0141 959 2552 where our staff will be happy to record them.