Victoria Park Community Trust (VPCT) are delighted to have welcomed WSHA as a Member organisation Summer 2023.
VPCT is a registered charity, run by volunteers, set up to allow for fund raising for projects within Victoria Park.
The Trust has drawn up a Development Plan containing a series of ideas which can be found on the VPCT website at: https://victoriaparkcommunitytrust.wordpress.com/development-plan/
VPCT has raised over £32k via grants this year for projects in the park including:
- improvement to the surfacing around the "Still Game Bench" including rebuilding of the supporting wall and new flowering shrubs
- new planters and shrubs around the cafe area
- planting of 2000 bluebell bulbs by the children from Whiteinch, St Paul’s and Scotstoun Primary Schools
- planting of 750 small trees planted alongside the Expressway to reduce the visual and pollution impacts of the traffic.
- the planting of a Forest Garden full of fruit trees and fruit bushes as part of a community food growing project
- the construction of 3 insect hotels in the Biodiversity Garden
VPCT has also received £40k for a cycling dirt track with an expected completion date Spring 2024.
The Trust contributed to a proposal to reduce traffic speeds on the Expressway and to introduce a pedestrian crossing across the road directly into Victoria Park from the Whiteinch Library area via Glasgow City Council’s Livable Neighborhood’s scheme.
VPCT event’s this year:
a) Glasgow Eco Trust’s cycle skills courses for youngsters
b) Movement Park urban festival for children to sample skateboarding and parkour
c) School’s art project & 2000 bluebell planting event
d) Assisted Ukrainian Family Fun Day with FOVP
e) VPCT community consultation day in May with live music.
The Trust is always looking for volunteers. Check VPCT and Friends of Victoria Park Facebook page for upcoming events.